Re: [sc-dev] For a more tolerant PlayBuf

On 12.12.2013, at 22:31, Dan Stowell <danstowell+sc3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2013/12/12 Julian Rohrhuber <julian.rohrhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Warning on by default please! There's some quite good stuff in the
>>> right-hand channel of my stereo soundfiles ;)
>>
>> well what would you expect when you write:
>> PlayBuf.ar(1, buf)
>>
>> Maybe you'd expect a mixdown?
>
> Not really - in some systems that would be a great idea, but it's not
> really SC style. Instead I'd expect SC to remind me that I'm
> potentially making a mistake. Whether that's in the form of an error
> (as now) or a warning I don't mind.

OK, I see, for now I'll just hardcode the warning. I was mainly asking because in many other cases, SC would assume that you knew what you were doing. Say you have a function:

f = { |x| x * [1, 1.2] };

and you call it:

f.value([1, 1, 1]);

You wouldn't expect this to throw a warning.

Even Pan2 doesn't warn when you pass it an array (this is good).

Maybe Buffer.read should throw a warning instead?

I don't want to insist, it just doesn't seem as clear for me that you need to be warned.