Re: Document status, was Re: [sc-dev] writeClientCSS

On 04.12.2013, at 00:06, Julian Rohrhuber <julian.rohrhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03.12.2013, at 23:50, thor <th.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The reason I’m interested in the Document as part of a standalone is because TextView is, and has traditionally been, too limited (but maybe for no reason anymore, since Qt supports it all). Perhaps all the methods of the Document we’re used to could be implemented in a TextView.
>>
>> But as Julian says, there might well be user cases where the IDE would be part of the standalone, although I can’t see that those would be many if we had a good TextView class. Julian, what did you have in mind?
>
> It is useful for specific functionality to isolate one version of sc, be it for education or preservation of a piece...

More generally: it is good to be able to have sclang without the IDE, but that is only one use case.

Also the IDE could be part of the functionality of the program you want to distribute. The current implementation of the standalone is based on the (wrong) assumption that programming a system and using it are two separate things.