Re: [sc-dev] Towards SC 4

2013/11/12 Scott Wilson <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 12 Nov 2013, at 13:42, Bovermann Till <till.bovermann@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> (2) What about (officially) extending an existing state of the art
> programming language such as Ruby ( https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ ) or
> JavaScript with
> (a) guaranteed realtime waiting (as crucial for musical tasks) and
> (b) synthdef generation?
>
> I have the feeling that Ruby is pretty close to SClang, however it lacks
> both the rt features and the extensive music-oriented library of SC.
>

> Be aware that those languages (or individual implementations of them) may or
> may not be realtime friendly.

Indeed. Ruby is surprisingly SC-like (although I would favour Python)
but I believe neither is true-realtime-friendly (Python for sure, cos
of its gc and its global-interpreter-lock).

Personally I do agree with Till's assertion that we'd gain greatly by
piggybacking on an existing language, as long as it was a decent one.
Note that there are some existing possibilities already in overtone,
scalacollider etc... they don't have an sclang feel though.
Piggybacking on javascript is a tempting idea given the way the future
is currently looking. (cf <http://flockingjs.org/>)