Re: [sc-dev] fast forwarding the server

Thanks Victor

My proposal is similar, but adds a preroll point before the start of playback, and a silent fast forward or reposition mode which renders audio at maximum speed but doesn't wait for it to play through the output buffers. Like this:

1. Skip events until (new play position - preroll time).

2. Calculate stream events, render but don't buffer audio from the preroll point to the play position. This prerenders streams and ugens so they can make a contribution before normal playback starts.

3. Stream events and play audio from the play position in the usual way.

This gives enough 'lookback' to be musically useful when it's needed, allows users not to use any lookback at all if they don't want it (duplicating Victor's scheme) and also allows them to fast forward with full prerender from the start if they want to hear a piece with all elements in full every time (and don't mind waiting while it cooks before it reaches the fast forward position.)

Richard