Re: [sc-dev] fast forwarding the server

Yes, exactly. I'm not hoping for real random access, but to for the
user of algoscore it should look like that. You put the play cursor
somewhere and you can play from there. It would probably involve a
dialog popup that says "locating..." or something.

The bad thing is of course that this will take longer time at the end
of the piece, and might take *very* long time if the music is
complex.. But, this would only need to be done from the point of
earliest start of currently running synths, so one can have sections
of music and only need to fastforward from the start of the section,
not the entire piece.

Another thought: the only reason to fastforward like this is to get to
a particular state. This state itself is quite lightweight, just a
bunch of variables. What if we could save and recall these states? For
example, save the state everytime the user plays from a new position,
meaning it will be instant to play from that place again. And/or save
state once per second, or ten seconds. Then it's only a couple of
seconds that needs to be fast-forwarded.

Note that this is all server-side. Language-side, one would need to
implement something similar for each kind of technique used. For
example, fastforwarding a pattern should not be hard. In an
environment like my coming algoscore, one might have
break-point/envelope curves built-in that implements such
fastforwarding.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Hanns Holger Rutz <contact@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> if you don't depend on realtime input, i see no problem forwarding the server by letting it calculate as fast as possible... this is _not_ random access yet. of course, with a DAW or something like algoscore you could say the client can do a random seek, but you would still have problems with for example long running synths that depend on initial random seed or chaotic oscillators, or perhaps warming up a long reverb tail. in those cases, the fast-forward makes sense, because you might not want to produce large pre-rendered files. (besides... that's not possible as NRT still doesn't have an OSC interface yet).
>
> best, .h.h.
>

> On 6 Jan 2013, at 13:54, Lucas Samaruga wrote:
>
>> The only sound one can play at random without loosing information is a rendered sound file (or a synced set of they as in a daw), events are incomplete as audio information in many cases. Why not just to provide a clear interface to render offline with one server while processing rt and playing in other server with the current approach? Just to access a daw looks like the clearest approach to me.
>>
>> El dic 20, 2012 7:58 p.m., "Jonatan Liljedahl" <lijon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>> Ah, of course! Yes, switching to/from this new NRT mode would be
>> fantastic, when dealing with DAW-like time based interfaces for
>> composition.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Hanns Holger Rutz <contact@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/issues/279
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.supercollider.devel/27755
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.supercollider.devel/27757
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.supercollider.devel/27758
>> >
>> > essentially what you are proposing is this new NRT mode brought forward at various occasions (including your own comments :) ... only that now you would even be able to switch a realtime running scsynth to this NRT mode.
>> >
>> > +10000000 from me. i would love this!!
>> >
>> > best, .h.h.

>> --
>> /Jonatan