Re: [Sc-devel] Platform, Quarks and stand-alones

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 7:22 AM, ronald kuivila <rkuivila@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
3. Insisting on symlinks  breaks the use of Quarks in win32. While Felix' and James' rant about win32 was entertaining,

yes, and after the quip about the horse I suggested on windows we could simply copy the folder.

so I already suggested the solution and I've suggested it before but still I have heard nothing.

(This might be the location of Platform:systemAppSupportDir and Platform:userAppSupportDir and insist that
the extension dirs live within them.)

in your (lab) case I guess you aren't really a "user" at all since you don't control your own user directory.
while that is odd, I suppose the user app support dir could be configurable.  I just shudder at thinking of all the conditional sentences in all the help fiiles ( the user app support directory, which is by default located at... )

it doesn't have much to do with quarks per se, that's just one of the things that is in there.

3. The use of symlinks when installing Quarks should be a settable option within the Quarks class.

symlink of copy then.

symlinks are better for most because it reduces the chance of editing the wrong file.

-cx