[Sc-devel] Platform, Quarks and stand-alones

Hi all

Well, here is a rant:
The current policy on the location of extensions and use of symlinks, etc is impractically and unnecesssarily coercive:

0. As a fundamental principle, all configuration issues should be directly under user control.  SC3 is a programming environment,
not an application.  If you want to restrict the configuration, make root the owner of the app....

1. There are plenty of situations where access to the needed path is restricted by a sys admin (James Harkins ran into this recently)

2. If you need to keep several differently configured versions of SC3 (one for performance, one for an installation, one for
some new hardware you are experimenting with), you have to change the Quarks set-up as you move from one to the other.

3. Insisting on symlinks  breaks the use of Quarks in win32. While Felix' and James' rant about win32 was entertaining, it is simply
insupportable to ignore the tremendous efforts that have gone into making a PC compatible version of SC.
The basic design should be as platform neutral as possible.

So, I would propose the to place the following on the to do list for the 2009 version of SC3:

1. The location of server plugins should be an option for the server (this requires approval from JMc)

2. The location of extensions and Quarks should be set with application preferences as discussed on the list.
(This might be the location of Platform:systemAppSupportDir and Platform:userAppSupportDir and insist that
the extension dirs live within them.)

3. The use of symlinks when installing Quarks should be a settable option within the Quarks class.

RJK

PS: Having a separate target is a reasonable short term fix, but it is ***exactly*** what we should not be doing in the long run. It
simply adds more maintenance issues and possible sources of confusion and bugs.