Re: [Sc-devel] startup-files and tempdirs

Hiho,

On Feb 4, 2008 5:29 PM, Dan Stowell <danstowell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/2/4, andersvi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <andersvi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > [Recordings:]
> >
> > IMHO as to casual recordings, they are casual :-) The standard place
> > to leave such are /tmp/* to facilitate handling by your machines
> > specific cleanup-regime.  Choose the right place on your setup to your
> > own liking, not those of some developers of some app :-)
> >
> >     n> I would not place recordings in /tmp/ as this is the last place
> >     n> a user looks for something.  IMO that directory should only be
> >     n> used for temporary files that the application throws away again
> >     n> as it quits (and the user is usually unaware of files sitting
> >     n> there). That is what most programs do.
> >
> > Theres no standard place to put sound-recordings in FHS, so theres few
> > obvious places to look if you dont already know of one. '/tmp' is
> > standard for temp-files of various kinds, so i would definitely have a
> > look there (first!) if i didnt know of other places.
>
> Hmm, I agree with Marije on this. If you want to stick to FHS for the
> linux defaultRecDir, surely somewhere in /var would be a better place
> for recordings? Recordings are a lot more like log-files (logs of
> audio :) than like the temporary files that are typically stored in
> /tmp - I think it would be wrong of SuperCollider to assume that
> recordings are temporary and not to be preserved.

Well...
I think that things that users create and may want to keep around,
should go into their own home directory in an appropriate place, not
in a system wide place, where any user has access to it.
A normal user should not have to search in other directories.

sincerely,
Marije