Re: [Sc-devel] Serious bugs in Buffer :loadCollection and :sendCollection

On 4 Feb 2008, at 17:53, Dan Stowell wrote:

2008/2/4, Scott Wilson <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Warning thing is a bug.

startFrame vs. startSample is an error in documentation I think.

Well for sendCollection the documentation, the arg-name and the
analogy with loadCollection all say it should be a frame-index rather
than a sample-index, so I'd argue it's the implementation's fault not
the docs'.

Well, argue if you like. My memory is hazy, but I think I meant index, in keeping with the 'multichannel is your responsibility' policy of these methods. I think it was a cut and paste thing when I wrote the doc.

*sendCollection thing is a bug, definitely.

I have a sinking suspicion that this is all my fault, since I believe
I added and documented these methods sometime back around 1972. :-(

1972? Makes sense. You must have been distracted by the introduction
of the first scientific hand-held calculator and the nationalisation
of the Iraq Petroleum Company.

Yeah, that really upset me. Awhile ago anyway...

Your patch seems reasonable. Best to stick with startFrame I think.

Believe it or not, probably the reason this has never come up is just
that nobody has tried to do the exact things that cause the bugs.

Yes, seems weird. Are these serious enough to warrant a new RC? I find
them "serious" because of how commonly buffers are used, but then if
people don't often hit these bugs...?

Let's add it to a list and see what else surfaces. Not for this alone I'd say.

S.