Re: [Sc-devel] startup-files and tempdirs

Hiho,

On Feb 2, 2008 6:28 PM,  <andersvi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wouldn't the standard place to leave startup-files and temporary
> soundfiles in unixes (SGI/Next/Linux) suffice as default?  They exist
> on OSX as well, and could be symlinked to from any other place.

not sure what you mean here.

> Hopefully we could also get a command-line option to both override
> (-q, --no-init, --no-site-init ...) loading of init-files, and load a
> special file explicitly (-f or just pass the name of the file?)  when
> starting the app.
>
> I guess environment-variables should be used where possible as well,
> but they also need some default when not set explicitly, and tend to
> be a bit more difficult to maintain.
>
> Suggestions:
>
> For startup-files:
>
>   /etc/sclang.cfg
>   ~/.sclang.cfg

note, there is a difference between the optional library configuration
file (sclang.cfg), which is not needed for standard installations
anymore, and the startup file sclang.sc.

I would not place recordings in /tmp/ as this is the last place a user
looks for something.
IMO that directory should only be used for temporary files that the
application throws away again as it quits (and the user is usually
unaware of files sitting there). That is what most programs do.

sincerely,
Marije