Re: [Sc-devel] 3.2 RC cutoff time [was Re: Quarks and svn]

On Jan 27, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Click Nilson wrote:

the patch looks nice for me, since I overwrite all the quant defaults where they're 1.0 myself (my hacky class file attached for fun). Of course, I'd want the default for Quant.default to be 0.0  ;  )

Quant.new *is* 0.0.asQuant :)  So the patch that I submitted would give you exactly that behavior, unless you change Quant.default.

I would have to vote against hard coding 0.0 in method argument lists. Having a nil default in the method headers reverts to Quant.default, which normally will behave as if it were 0.0.

yes, 'everyone' was probably an over-reaction, but I just had nightmare thoughts of the amount of code that might depend on Task().start or whatever.

That's a legitimate concern. I was just pointing out that the situation in the library is not so uniform as you assumed.

1.0, I believe, comes from James McCartney, who would counter your argument with the observation that scheduling a task from outside the clock gives you no assurance of any kind of synchronization with other processes. (Recalling discussion from a few years ago about why it's a bad idea to play a pattern or routine inside another routine -- which is a slightly different issue, but related.)

Anyway, we, at least, are in agreement on the basic point that consistency is better, and imposing the fewest assumptions in default behavior is also better.

hjh

: H. James Harkins

: jamshark70@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

: http://www.dewdrop-world.net