Re: [Sc-devel] 3.2 packaging

On Jan 27, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Ryan Brown wrote:

A package installer is actually more complicated for the user than
simply dragging to the Applications directory. It is also more
complicated for us because we have to handle upgrades for future
releases of SC, archiving/managing Application Support, etc.

At this point, there really isn't much point in the installer, since it will basically just be putting a folder in Applications, so I agree. I'll just do a .dmg with build, quarks, sc3-plugins and source included.

Wouldn't the best option be to improve Quarks to support UGens and
SwingOSC? We could also create a Quarks installation GUI (the current
one only manages existing installs AFAIK) and add a menu item for it
to encourage new users to explore 3rd party packages.

GO FOR IT! We've been talking about this for a bit, and if you can get it working, I think it would be amazing. I would love to see all of sc3-plugins simply be Quarks. SwingOSC makes sense as well.

Do I have write permissions on the sourceforge site to
upload 3.2? Or does Dan have to do this?

I think anyone can do it. I've uploaded the last two releases.

Great... good to know.

Thanks,

Josh

Ryan