Re: [Sc-devel] adding UGens / classes

For what it's worth, my viewpoint on this is that SuperCollider should add those third party plugins that provide notable audio capabilities; I also think this stuff should be in core in preference to, say, Crucial lib, which certainly could be made into a Quark.

So I'd vote in favour of Warp.

I'd also be happy to see MoogFF and FreeVerb in there, for instance. For example, in some ways it seems strange that SC has to demo reverbs using combinations of Allpass and Comb, fun as that is, when there are nice third party reverbs that could be brought in.

I guess we can't go overboard, but we can appropriate valuable favourites. I don't think we should add all those minor modifications of oscillators with slightly different interpolation, however, but we can consider richly different functionalities. I'm also not advocating every experimental UGen goes in; perfectly happy to keep the SLUGens entirely separate, for instance!

In machine listening terms, there shouldn't be too many more additions for 3.2 here, but there will at minimum be MFCC (Dan and myself are consulting off list on this) and perhaps a more reactive BeatTrack2 if I get round to it. There are some additionals I'm exploring, but may never get working well enough, or run out of time! I hope none of you are upset by the addition of these sorts of things; each one is a big investment of work, and I believe gives SC an edge. I'm also trying to be careful with cross platform compatibility and support of four sampling rates where possible.

best,
Nick