Re: [Sc-devel] [3.2] suggestion: compiler directive for class library

If a second quark is the preferred solution, I don't have a life or death objection to it. I'll set that up over the weekend.

Your counterargument assumes that an extension can mean one and only one thing: "this is critical functionality, and if its target class doesn't exist, it's a problem that you must deal with before going any further."

What I'm saying is that there's a second type of extension, which isn't supported yet: "if you have the target class, you will need these extra methods, but if not, you won't miss them." While I do see your perspective, I also must note that you haven't offered any sort of reason why the second is invalid.

My proposal would not take away the first kind of extension. It would merely give the developer the choice of which kind a particular extension is supposed to be. You could have both kinds in the same file, even.

hjh