Re: [sc-dev] [approve] Instr-wrap and default overrides in Patch

On Dec 2, 2006, at 10:02 PM, James Harkins wrote:

 If you don't use the wrapping method, it doesn't change the behavior of Instr / Patch.

I'll look through this later, I'm traveling.

But my comment/problem on this before was that it makes an awful mess of the classes.
It makes it very much more complicated and I think there are other ways to achieve this
goal that don't involve polluting the classes as they stand.

As it is few people can be bothered to follow the process of building Instr/Patch
I won't allow it to become more complicated and esoteric.

3. Allowing a reference to a number to create a control based on the arg's spec rather than a hard coded number.

this is the kind of programming that I really dislike.  how is anyone supposed to guess or intuitively know this ?

use a class or method to do it:

p = Patch("something", 880.krne   );  // freq is now fixed at 880 always

this way you can put this feature in its own file, its own method, document it etc.
anybody can look up the method and read the doc.

sorry, but let's not pollute Instr with more tricks and slangs.

-cx