Re: [sc-dev] SC3e - SuperCollider embedded

Neat ideas. I've also been thinking (in a very high-level way) about
designs for a portable generative music playing device. As implied in
a previous message, one primary design requirement for a commercially
viable device would be to maximize the potential audience as much as
humanly possible...having SC installed as a prerequisite would be a
bit of a damper on that, unfortunately.

I found a reference to a real such device here:
http://www.efendos.com/madwavmp5usi.html
Anyone have any experience with it?

Mike

On 10/23/06, Till Bovermann <tboverma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 21 Oct 2006, at 21:23, Joshua Parmenter wrote:

> Yes... this is a reason! But... you way want to try and get a sense
> of what an iPod chip can do before beginning... it decodes mp3s one
> at a time fine, it will obviously decode a video... but how many
> sin tones could it generate?
>
> I'm not sure about clock speed (etc.), but I imagine the bottle
> next will be the bus speed between the processor and whatever
> little RAM it has... keep in mind, its used to dealing with
> compressed audio, something we rarely do in SC (and even then, only
> with FLAC)...
>
> Find an old PowerPC (pre-G3), and I bet you would start to get a
> sense of the limitaions!
>
> Josh

A good overview on this is given in this thesis:

http://web.media.mit.edu/~nvawter/thesis/index.html

(btw. it's a quite nice project, too)

regards
Till