Re: [sc-dev] SC3e - SuperCollider embedded

This has been an interesting conversation to follow. But... I don't see why on Earth you'd need something like the SC Server / Audio Engine to provide audio playback on a mobile device. The SC Audio Engine is tight. Having auditory feedback that helps make a device accessible is more of a sonification problem, as opposed to a synthesis problem. Examples of simplicity:

doorbell - ding dong (who's there)
car horn - honk (get out of my way)
fire alarm - annoying bell (get the hell out)
flat line - fixed frequency sine wave (you're dead)

You don't need SC to generate those types of sounds.

And as far as having a mobile device for downloading and sharing generative music... why not just record a generative music piece to disk and save as MP# format? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a neat idea. The number of people who actually use SC is probably in the hundreds (just a wild guess). The number of people who'd actually have embedded SC on a mobile device downloading and listening to generative music would be like, I don't know, 10 people? Sarcasm, but that's a lot of work to make a handful of people happy. But... I could see SC running on something like a PSP (memory being the main problem there).