Re: [sc-dev] Re: [sc-users] Synth.play revisited

On Wednesday, July 24, 2002, at 06:55 AM, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:

 maybe even building a SynthDef from a ugenFunc should be a talent of
SynthDef ? it only needs to know the rates of the args. (and not by guessing
 based on the argument names IMHO).

it seems a bit weird to me, too, it is not convenient to write a list of specs each time you want to play a function.

yes but its essential to know if its \audio \control or \scalar.

Synth.play({ arg audio,freq,amp;   ...   },[\audio,\control,\control]);

that wasn't so terribly inconvenient, was it ?

doesn't look so nice.
ok, so if I really need audio input to a synth, I should
write an In.ar right away. Most of the time I will just
want some control. I suggest that per default all specs
are just \control and if you need something else, fine.
Ron uses symbols als default arguments to determine a view class.
so if there are specs, one could also just say
Synth.play({ arg audio=\audio,freq=\freq, amp; ... });
not so beautiful either, but why not.

 i think that is the approach i will take: remove it from Instr entirely.

 go ahead, it's fine for me. If you want, I can do it,

do it to what ?  the Instr class you have written ?

no, from the one you have. I see that I should have quoted you fully: