Re: [sc-dev] linux

> i've yet to proceed with an sc-client-application to come up with
> definite measurements. how do you measure latency from within
> supercollider?
The client sends a bundle with a timestamp to the server.  If the server
gets it before the time is up, it is scheduled to be performed at the
right time, otherwise it is performed late and a message is posted.

> i'm not sure what you mean by sample accuracy in event dispatching;
> events are quantized to at least the clock resolution, no?

James explained this a couple of days ago, sample accuracy is attained by
writing only part of a buffer (that begins at the point that corresponds
to the timestamp quantized to the sampling period).  OffsetOut does this.

This can be pretty important for certain kinds of granular synthesis
effects.

As far as I understand, it is only relative accuracy that matters: the
'first sample' can be anywhere in the buffer but the nth sample must come
n samples later not n rounded to the control period.  So it suffices to
take the timestamp, multiply it by the sampling rate, and mod by the
control period.

RJK